Arugula Salad is a great side dish that’s light, refreshing and easy. You’ll love the fruitiness and crunch that come from the addition of berries, cherries and toasted nuts.
Have the whole salad on the table in 10 minutes. Top this easy arugula salad with Oven Baked Chicken Breasts or grilled chicken for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
A Fruity Summer Salad
Arugula salad is a fresh salad with arugula leaves as the base. Arugula is sometimes called “rocket” and it’s a dark leafy green from the broccoli family. It has a unique, intense flavor that is peppery, tart and pleasantly bitter.
Often, like here, arugula salad is mixed with fruits or berries to cut the bitterness (peaches are also great with this recipe). It is also tossed in a delicious and equally simple homemade arugula salad dressing made with olive oil, honey, and rice vinegar.
How to Make Arugula Salad
Simple arugula salad comes together in a flash, especially when using pre-washed baby arugula found at most grocery stores! Sometimes the ends of the stems are quite tough, especially on larger leaves. These should be trimmed off before mixing the salad.
- Whisk arugula salad dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Toast and roughly chop the nuts, slice the onion and pit the cherries (I use this cherry pitter, the best ever)!
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, crumble in the feta, pour over the dressing and toss.
To Toast Nuts: Place them in a single layer on a foil lined cookie sheet in a preheated 350°F oven or toaster oven for about 5 minutes. Be sure to watch them carefully, as they toast quickly, and easily burn.
Add Your Favorites
As mentioned, arugula has an intense taste that makes it almost more like an herb than a vegetable. I like to serve it with roasted or grilled meats like baked chicken thighs or a tender pork tenderloin.
As with any salad, substitutions or additions are totally appropriate, and encouraged! Try adding some of these ingredients for an arugula salad that is totally your own.
- Cheese: goat cheese or shaved parmesan instead of, or in addition to the feta.
- Fruit: grapes, strawberries, raspberries, peaches
- Nuts: toasted pine nuts or pecans
- Legumes: chickpeas or cannellini beans
- Vegetables: If you want a milder salad, you can also try mixing in some romaine or spinach leaves.
More Tasty Side Salads
- Cucumber Onion Salad – pairs perfectly with spicy meats
- Pistachio Strawberry Salad – ready in 20 mins!
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad – summer favorite!
- Tomato Avocado Salad – made with red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – 4 ingredient dressing!
Arugula salad is made with baby arugula, strawberries, feta cheese, red onion, and toasted pecans. It is the perfect side salad for summer with its light and fresh flavors.
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup cherries (pitted)
- 1 cup blackberries (or strawberries/raspberries)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup red onion (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts (or pecans)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
Assemble the arugula, berries, feta cheese, red onion and nuts in a medium bowl.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake well.
Pour over salad and toss.
Original source: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/arugula-salad-with-berries/