Blueberry French Toast Bake is an easy make overnight breakfast casserole recipe! A creamy custard mixture is tossed with bread, blueberries and a sweet cream cheese mixture. Everything is topped with a crunchy streusel topping. Refrigerate this french toast casserole recipe overnight and in the morning simply pop it in the oven to bake!
While we love to start the day with French Toast, this make ahead casserole recipe is great for an easy holiday breakfast (or to feed a crowd). Try swapping out the fruit for your favorites!
Blueberry Baked French Toast Casserole
Wake up to the smell of fragrant blueberries baked into this lusciously decadent overnight casserole recipe. No need to get up early to put it together, because all the work is done the night before! Just assemble, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
The bread soaks up the custard mixture so that it is ready to go in the morning! While this breakfast is delicious and filling, we often add in a side of grapefruit sections or a Fresh Summer Fruit Salad!
How to Make Baked French Toast
This easy French toast starts with bread of course! Regular white bread works (or really, any leftover bread or even leftover dinner rolls) but we get the best results from a denser bread such as brioche or Challah as it holds the custard perfectly.
You want the bread to be slightly dry, so cut it and leave it to sit out overnight. It can also be dried in an oven at 350˚F for about 8 minutes.
To Make French Toast Casserole
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice and mix until fluffy.
- Layer the bread cubes in a casserole dish, add cream cheese and blueberries.
- Combine eggs & milk to create a custard and pour over the bread cubes. Refrigerate overnight.
- Top with the streusel topping and bake until golden!
How Long to Bake French Toast Casserole? Leave this french toast bake at room temperature for about 45 minutes while the oven preheats. Like most make ahead casserole recipes, the center of this french toast bake is really cold so leaving it at room temperature for a little bit helps it to bake evenly. Add topping and bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes.
Can I Freeze French Toast Casserole?
This blueberry cream cheese french toast casserole freezes perfectly with just a little preparation!
- To Freeze: Just assemble the first stage, cover it so it is airtight, label and pop in the freezer. Keep the prepared streusel topping in a separate zippered bag in the freezer.
- To Defrost: Defrost in the fridge overnight.
- To Bake: Bake as directed in the recipe.
More Breakfast Casseroles To Try
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon – Easy to prepare!
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole – Make ahead breakfast!
- CrockPot Breakfast Casserole – Set it and forget it!
- French Toast Casserole – Quick and easy brunch!
- Overnight Apple Pie French Toast Casserole – Family favorite!
- Mexican Slow Cooker Breakfast – Spice up your morning!
Blueberry French Toast Bake
This French Toast Bake is made with bread in an easy custard mixture is tossed with blueberries and a sweet cream cheese mixture. Everything is topped with a sweet streusel topping.
- 12 slices bread (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Leave your bread out for a few hours or place it on a tray at 350˚F for about 8 minutes to slightly dry it out.
In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until fluffy.
Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer half of the bread cubes in the pan. Top with the cream cheese half of the blueberries. Top with remaining bread and blueberries.
In a bowl, stir together the eggs, milk, syrup and lemon zest until well mixed. Pour over the bread cubes, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Mix topping ingredients together in a small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole just before baking.
Remove the casserole from the fridge about 45-60 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Bake uncovered 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and is hot.
REPIN this Make Ahead Recipe
Original source: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/overnight-blueberry-french-toast/